Like my new hat?


Ok... no maybe I'm not begging for donation, silently wandering castle yards like a Buddhist monk - yet... But Holy Crap! Life is EXPENSIVE!
The hospital bill total is: 24670 yen
That wouldn't be so bad, except I'm not totally sure I have insurance. I thought I did, maybe I still do... but the scary thing is, I'm just not sure. In fact, this will probably all clear itself up in a matter of days - but right now it's got me (and my sore throat) stressin.
What I thought was international insurance purchased through the school, may have only been some strange third party handler. And with some family career changes, I may have gotten sick just exactly in the middle of an "insurance gap."
Thank Goodness our country dosen't employ some crazy program like - universal health care! Otherwise hard-working, tax-paying citizens might actually feel comfortable going to the hospital. At least I didn't get sick in America, or else I could multiply my bill tenfold - easily.
Still, that's almost $300 in unexpected expenditures this month. Even if I am reimbursed, I still need to pay that amount out of pocket NOW. Ooh, my monthly stipend isn't even $300...
My Dear Family, don't send me any more care packages. For my birthday- all I want is money to help me make rent, and get wheels when I return to Oly. Because currently, I don't have enough money for either.
The twenty-something realization that "Holy crap! Life is expensive!": Priceless


2 Comments:
Ok... so if I have insurance, who is it with? THAT I don't understand... but email me that stuff next time, ma. gawsh.
feelin better already.
Hi Mo,
I finally get in touch with you... What an awful friend I am! I'm very sorry, but my life has been quite a bit eclectic. I received your lovely letter around finals week and decided to write back as soon as it would be over. But stupid me, I didn't realize that I wouldn't have much time afterwords either. Between the Mexico service trip, my attemps to get an internship, and my hopes to go home, I lost track of time, which can explain my silence. Reading your letter was so wonderful. I felt so thankful to have a friend like you. No one has ever told me so many wonderful things about myself at once... I'm glad you too got the opportunity to be a foreigner. No matter where you are, or for how long you are gone, you have this weird but amazing feeling of freedom, fear, and extreme happiness (usually not before the second month...)
I looked over your website in order to catch up with you. I was sorry to read that you got pretty sick. For the health insurance, I can totally relate to you. I have gone myself a few times to the ER and deeply missed my small socialist country. I'd never realized how privileged I was to benefit from a good and (almost) unlimited health care system.
Anyways, I just want to tell you that I'm really looking for seeing you! When are you coming back by the way? Have a terrific time in your country of adoption and take every opportunities you can get.
I love you and miss you tons,
Nathalie
Post a Comment
<< Home