Mo's Journey

I was lost and left to find myself - this is the note I left behind for anyone who comes a lookin for me.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

HANDS ON YOUR HEAD! GET DOWN! DO NOT RESIST! I SAID - GIT DOWN!!!

I am spending the next two weeks at...
Police academy. No, not the movie set, there are no humorous guys making silly sound effects and hi-jinks - (well, not yet at least). I am not actually attending police academy classes, rather I am attending classes to for the juvenile incarceration system - my new job as a counselor at Maple Lane School. I sure am learning a lot, today I learned all about the origin, development, and current legal process of the juvenile justice system. We practiced learning about the legal process from arrest to institution for youth using mock cases, and learned about different the juvenile legal system is from the adult. I have mixed emotions about what I am learning however, I sometimes feel excited that I can master the knowledge about these systems, and see all the future employment opportunities I could pursue in working with at-risk-youth, but I also get discouraged when I see HOW and WHY certain joints, facets, areas, of this system consistently fail, leading to increased juvenile criminal activity and recidivism.
All I know for now is this; I only have the best interests of the community, my youth, and the greater of society, in my heart when I go to work every day. The boys I work with need to change their ways to have successful free adult lives, I will keep working so long as I believe that in my own small way - I may someday effect positive change.
And all I know about police academy: It sure is weird to see hundreds of cops in full uniform, pointing fake guns and yelling "get out of the car" over and over again in front of my dormitory each day when I go to breakfast. When the militaristic, hyper-vigilant, strict social norms surrounding bear too heavily on my free spirit - I just keep reminding myself, "I am a counselor - not an officer. Let someone else carry a gun, I'll just keep my heart on my sleeve."

3 Comments:

Blogger April said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:12 AM  
Blogger April said...

My Dearest,

I love all the pictures. Got to love life, right? Everything has changed so dramatic in our lives. I miss our conversations and wish you were here. Be expecting a post from me. I sent it to your apartment at Bayview. I hope you are still there. It seems everything is going well with Trailman. Tell him Hi and check out my blog tomorrow I am going to be posting pics of Paris. I love Ireland. I so want to stay and live aboard. Is that crazy or what? I have found myself a little Irish romance as well. Mike and I ended things about two weeks ago and to be honest I am dong ok with all of it. Don't worry this irish fling is just a fling....crazy wild American women. I hate taking advantage of them, but they are keeping up foreign relations and doing a good job of it. Classes are awesome. I love not having the stress and pressures I have had to deal with for the past for years. Its crazy to think in less then three months I will finally be a graduate. I am so happy to see that Dharma is doing well. Tell her I said hello, oh and tell the band hi as well. Miss those crazy guys and their tunes. Mo, this world is so big. How can one person possibly see it all? I am going to Italy in November and Germany in December. You have to come over here and get a taste of the Emerald Isle. Well, girl I have to get ready for class at noon, crazy again....they don't have classes before 9 am. Fucking partying all the time, but got a cold right now. Love you and keep me posted with everything in your life. Take care and keep dreaming big.
Lost and wandering, in a good way.
April

3:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's really powerful, you know! The fact that you are working to help troubled young men transform themselves into self-respecting people. The fact that a strong young woman is showing them compassion will, hopefully, help them become responsible, loving adult men in the future. Something this world desperately needs. I respect that.

12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home