Another Human In This World?
No joke; everywhere I go, everyone is looking at me. I know this makes me sound like I need some meds, but I'm completely serious.
In my experience I have found Japan a racially, ethnically, and culturally homogeneous place. To the best of my knowledge I am the only non-Asian student at MWU - population of six or seven thousand. There are about fifteen or so Chinese students, but they speak very good Japanese, and for the most part they don't physically stand out from the crowd (at least to my western eye, that is) and they've got one another. My light skin, height, blue eyes, curly blonde hair, fashion, language, everything (!) is different than each and every person around me.
I guess the issue I'm working through is, I'm longing for a little bit of anonymity. I would love to be able to walk into a shop, buy a cup of coffee, sit and drink it and then leave. I just can't do this. It's amazing what we taken for granted when we come from a place of privilege, like native status. If I walk into that coffee shop today everyone in the shop will at some point in time take notice that I am obviously "not from around here." I won't know what to order because the food and drinks are unfamiliar to me. And when I try to order I will cause a great commotion with the cashier because I have to use intricate hand gestures, broken speech, and a dictionary, just to say "I would like a 12 oz cup of coffee with milk and sugar." This sentence could very well take me 2-4 minutes, if I'm having a good day. Then I can either laboriously communicate with someone I've know for maybe, three days, or be alone.
Gosh, I didn't realize it when I began writing, but maybe I'm just a little homesick. I hate to say that, I hate to admit that my trip isn't entirely perfect all of the time in every way possible - and that I am not the most sophisticated and seasoned traveler ever... But maybe I'm holding myself to standards that are impractical.
Don't get me wrong, I am happy that I am in Japan, I love my new friends, I don't want to go home, and I'm not sobbing in a fetal position of hours on end. I'm just another human in this world.
Maybe that's what I need to tell myself right now. Even though I can feel isolated from those around me because of our differences - they are just as human as I am. We all get cranky, paranoid, hungry, constipated (yeah - way too much fucking rice here...), tired, and lonely. And the only way to overcome these issues is with the equally universal smile, laugh, hug.
I think that self-discovery doesn’t often involve actually locating new areas of your identity, but rather increasing the depth with which you previously understood life.


1 Comments:
After writing this...
I finished up some errands on campus - then got away on my bike.
I bought a loaf bread at a little French-style bakery (these are quite popular in Japan, who would have expected it?) Then went to the co-op and bought the smallest, most expensive jar of peanut butter - ever. They had a Japanese brand for cheaper, but trust me, it wasn`t actually peanut butter.
I took the Skippy super chunk (my all time favorite) back to the dorms and I@m eating gooey tost now.
I feel much better. I`m going to go nap in my room like a lazy cat and I don`t care who knows it!
Post a Comment
<< Home