Mo's Journey

I was lost and left to find myself - this is the note I left behind for anyone who comes a lookin for me.

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

I have faith in the future I cannot see.


I was talking with a friend the other day, when I just realized something quite profound, only as the simple words accidentally fell out of my mouth.
"I am really happy right now . I mean, I have been singing silly songs all day, I wake up ready for whatever my day brings me, I am generally happy about my life."
I believe that it's the little things that you do unconsciously that are great indications of joy and content (like singing as you ride your bike to school for no reason). And I am comfortable with who I am, where I am, and the mindset that I have throughout my life. I am uncertain about where I am going - but that's OK.
I have faith in the future I cannot see.
I welcome the inevitable hardships ahead, knowing that I can navigate them with grace and stability because I am eager to learn something new each and every day.
I feel like I'm in love, but I'm really just in love with myself. I don't mean to say that I'm a narcisit , I just mean that I am OK with my own company - no negativity or self-deprecation necessary. I am happy.
I hope this doesn't all sound too sappy or insincere - because I truly mean what I say. I have been struggling a lot lately with the question
"Why am I here in Japan?"
I have to admit, I had a dozen or so ready-made answers then entire time I was planning the trip but I could never quite figure out why I was going.
Well, I think I found my reason - I had to search halfway around the world to 'find myself' as they say. I had to be afraid, alone, hurt even at times - to discover the resilience that lies within me.
I will probably continue to ask myself "why" for the entirety of my trip - I still have awe-struck moments where I am overwhelmed by the rushing emotions accompanying the thought,
"I can't believe I am actually LIVING IN JAPAN. Is this my life? No way, this sort of thing doesn't happen in my life, it's got to be a dream - a grand abstract dream."
But it is real, I am here; living, breathing. And I'm really, truly, happy. Posted by Hello

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mo,
What a great post and a great picture. Dad's heart is overflowing with pride to realize that you are my daughter. You have grown so much, in all measures of signifigance. And there is still so much to come! You see I too have faith in the future I cannot see.
Now I will be singing to myself.
School is over, but I am going full blast on the remodel stuff. The permits should be in my hands today, and the house mover will be here on Monday. A million things to do, so off I go. Keep it up, we love you a million!
Dad

6:07 AM  
Blogger Mo said...

Thank you Daddy!
I love you and miss you very much.
I can't wait to see the "new" house when I get back.
I think it's pretty obviouse that I have been lucky in my life to have such popsitive role models. Gambate, Poppa!

7:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mo
I believe in the message you've shared. Your postings helped me through two days of being sick (on my days off no less). Thank you for sharing.
Toby

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home