Mo's Journey

I was lost and left to find myself - this is the note I left behind for anyone who comes a lookin for me.

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Imaginary Universe


Posted by HelloMegu and the fam took me to this (I don't even know the word - Restaurant? Amusement Park? Performance Space?)
When I asked Megu where we were going, the best way she could describe it was 'It's like a... What's the word, retro? A retro place, yeah. Like from my parent's time.' I thought of my parents, and unless they were taking me to a hippy shingrala, this was going to be beyond the scope of my experience.
On the 7th floor (we took a colorful glass Wanka-like elevator) of a towering skyscraper in crowded downtown Osaka, they have re-created the outside city streets.
Once inside, you receive a card to which you charge all purchases. Then you walk from 'shop' to 'shop' inside a Disneyland-like realistically recreated atmosphere. The walls have fake posters circa 1960 Osaka, with fake dinge and dirt.
With the antiquated charm of days past, and the health and hygiene codes of an excellently managed fluid amusement park, you can eat traditional Japanese foods in small individually themed restaurants which are modeled after now extinct real-life hole-in-the-wall joints.
Inside there are street performs, a small Shinto shrine, fortune tellers, souvenir shops, children's games of chance. It's everything I thought the streets of Japan were, but have in many ways outgrown, put in a convenient one-serving package. Definitely surreal, but still really fun.
Mom and Michael, I'm taking you here, you'll appreciate the great choreography of an imaginary universe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home