Mo's Journey

I was lost and left to find myself - this is the note I left behind for anyone who comes a lookin for me.

Sunday, May 01, 2005


An orgy of the senses. This is one small corner of a gigantic amusement and game shop in Nishinomiya. These places are the size of a Costco sometimes, and they are always packed. Imagine, a Chuck E. Cheese for adults if you will. Middle-aged men and women alike sit for hours in front of glowing children's games trying to win prizes like 'a hello kitty doll.' The volume level is deafening, and the customers look like drones. I saw one man sitting with a his child passed-out asleep on one leg, and a bucket with probably two hundred little tokens on the other; his glazed eyes and fixed jaw were joyless but steadyc creepy. I seriously don't get it yet, but I think it has something to do with the strict anti-pornography and drug laws here. Escapism takes different form in different cultures. In America we have a million television channels - in Japan they have a million flashing lights. Two heads of the same coin maybe. Either way, I think the world would benefit from more books, less paved roads, and better grips with reality. Posted by Hello

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big Sweet Land!

12:23 PM  
Blogger Mo said...

Excellent point Mom -
Here is the difference: Vegas is a rare and exotic thing. Many American's go their whole lives without ever seeing it in person. These googeplexes of distraction have been in every city I've visited, they are not only accessable, they are part of every day life for many. I doubt anyone in Japan is really more than an hour away from one at any given time. Well, maybe there are a few rurally isolated regions - but over 80% of Japans's populations live in the major cities, so I'm safely generalizing when I say that "everyone and their mother has access to these places" whereas Vegas is still an exotic location to many.

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home