Mo's Journey

I was lost and left to find myself - this is the note I left behind for anyone who comes a lookin for me.

Thursday, July 07, 2005

"And... I never learned to READ!" - read like Mike Meyers in Wayne's World, the movie


When you'r hot your hot, when your not...
The other day I was in the grocery store trying to buy laundry detergent and face wash. Simple enough, right? But if you can't read the labels, how do you differentiate between bleach and regular detergent? How do you ask for help with this, if you have no idea what the words for either for bleach or detergent are? And how do you differentiate between body lotion, body wash, facial soap, hand soap, and any other mischievous body cleansing agents?
Yet... I can read everything in this picture of my classroom whiteboard. Yup, that's hiragana, katakana, and KANJI -oh kanji my spiteful lover- even if it's all really base level stuff, like "I will go to school." But those rare moments when I can fully comprehend these abstract hashes of a language, make me feel like the most omnipotent beast ever to crawl the face of the earth.
An ego inflating experience, all until the practical pin of grocery shopping pops my pompous sense of accomplishment, and reminds me of just how much further I have to develop.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sandi said...

You will have memories to last a life-time, as well as first hand knowledge of some really different beliefs. Wish I could have done something like that when I was in college.
Come back to my site and see if you can find the wolf.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

I never mastered more than about 30 Kanji at a time when I studied Japanese and I still thought that was pretty awesome. I couldn't dream of handling an entire whiteboard, let alone the omnipotent feeling from doing it...

10:48 AM  
Blogger Mo said...

it took me a minute to connect the "dirty clothes and not wash my face" comment... I was like "what the hell does my dirty mother have to do with kanji" hahaha.

6:05 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Were you able to ask for help? That must've looked funny.

1:55 AM  
Blogger Mo said...

Pantomime and goofy sound effects have been my saving grace

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home