Mo's Journey

I was lost and left to find myself - this is the note I left behind for anyone who comes a lookin for me.

Thursday, April 21, 2005

the novelty of being a novelty

Note: Emiko's insightful comments on my last post inspired this blog- check out the comments section on 'the difference betwee who you are and what you are' to see the inspiration behind these thoughts and feelings.

Emiko - You are definitely one of the genuine friends I have made in Japan (I knew you were a sincere person the first day I met you!)

It’s probably important I reiterate that I am very happy in Japan. While my observations may seem depressing because they are not always perky and perfect, I would like to assure you that they do not sadden me at all. I am happy to learn more about cultural communication differences and the effects they have on socialization and relationship.

This is all part of becoming a better global citizen.

I am glad that I realize some people treat me differently because of my skin color, for in opening my eyes to possible insincerity in the world - I can more clearly identify beautiful sincerity. In doing this, I can build friendships with stronger foundation that will better last the tests of time and fulfill me in a more in-depth way than a superficial relationship alone would. I have always believed that knowledge is power, and shielding myself from the falsity of blissful ignorance would eventually disempower me more for it would allow me to lead the mere imitation of a gratifying life

These self-defining realizations are some of the most critical moments in my study abroad experience.

Additionally, I believe that there is a real danger for an American in Japan if we do not realize the roots of some of the generous attention we receive. Are you familiar with the word narcissist? Put simply, it means someone who thinks that they are the greatest human to ever live on this earth. If allowed myself to believe that all of this excessively lavish attention was produced because I was better than the average human - my character would deeply suffer as I would loose my humility (I have to be careful here, after all this whole blog is dedicated to me... oops! logical fallacy!)

I choose to analyze my environment, all of the relationships within it, and equally embrace both the negative and positive aspects of 'the novelty of being a novelty.'*

Emiko, you and so many others have overwhelmed me with sincere humanity I truly appreciate. You are kind and considerate of my feelings, and that really makes me feel special - as Mo.

*Thanks Sarah, that is a great line you coined and it so perfectly describes my experience that it runs through my mind often. Sidebar: when it does I smile because I think of you!

1 Comments:

Blogger Mo said...

Emiko,
Because my blog is my final outlet for uncensored expression, I tend to use 'merciless English' that is to say, I do not intentionally use simpler language to accomidate people who are still learning English.
That said, I am really excited that you are enjoying the blog - you have some great observations I am happy to share your company.
Maybe we could read it together some days during breaks? I could explain some of the difficult words and expressions, and we could talk and joke about the writing.
Also, if you are ever interested in starting your own page, I would be happy to teach you. They are free and you can make it in English or Japanese. Just an idea.
I look forward to seeing you in class next week!
Peace,
Mo

6:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home