Mo's Journey

I was lost and left to find myself - this is the note I left behind for anyone who comes a lookin for me.

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

and the survey says...

It is with much regret that I respectfully decline MWU's generous offer to extend my scholarship into a second semester. Unfortunately, extending my stay at Mukogawa would delay my graduation by one full academic semester. Such an extension would create insurmountable financial obstacles for which, despite my best efforts, I cannot find an alternative.
Those who were involved in the process of assisting me through my attempts to extend my scholarship will know that I explored every possible avenue in search of creative solutions to finance extended semester. Though my research was extensive, it has proven to be fruitless.
Transferring to another college, or accepting student loans, are simply not viable options for my situation. If I were to transfer to another college where more financial aid might be available, I could loose a large amount of credits, thus postponing my graduation by as many as 4 semesters. Student loans are also not an option for my situation. The past four years I have benefited from generous scholarships that place me in a "low need" category which leaves me ineligible for a large enough student loan to cover all the cost incurred from a postponed graduation.
Without a secure plan to finance my education through graduation, I must resume scholarship at Saint Martin's College in the Fall as I had previously planned. Therefore, I officially declined Mukogawa's generous offer to extend my scholarship、as it could eventually jeopardize my graduation. And no matter how wonderful my time here in Japan has been, there is still nothing more important to me than completing my college degree. And graduating without student loans is such a gift from the cosmos - getting out of school without that albatros around my neck will present me with so many opportunities to travel all over the world, without the burden of debt.
My time in Japan has been perhaps one of the greatest experiences of my college career. I hope that every young college student pursues studying abroad, as it has made a great and positive impact on my life.
I look forward to returning to Japan some time in my future, and I am thankful for my time in Japan thus far. Perhaps the greatest lesson I gainedined here in Japan, was that I can accomplish anything I set my mind to, and nothing can take that away. My wonderful friends, memorable sights, and learning expereiences will not be lessoned by the fact that I was only here one semester. I remain confident in my belief that this is only the first of many journey's I will have in my life. I know that I will take all of you along with me - in my memories and in my heart. Thanks for the support.
Mo-chan

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mo,
I echo your mother's comments. I know this was a hard choice to come to. The pull to stay in Japan must have been incredibly strong. But the advantage of financial freedom is profound. Especially when you are young and single, financial freedom is enabling to many of your goals. Debt is disabling, requiring efforts be directed to servicing it.
I agree with your choice, and applaud your decision.
Now about the Walmart shopper NASCAR fan designation, in Mon-freaking- tana...
Dad and Jeni

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home