i have a blooming orchid

In making my decision to stay only one semester in Japan, my hand has very much felt cruelly forced by the inescapable grips of looming financial burden. But if this journey has taught me one thing, it has taught me optimism.
Angie has been plant sitting for me this semester, and this last week she sent me these photos of my blooming orchid. My beautiful baby is living and growing again, halfway around the world. Just as her life has survived the turmoil of change, mine shall too. I have watched her for several blooms now. Her petals will reach their climactic and awesome beauty, but only just before they quickly wilt, die, and disappear for another 11 months. But it is all worth the wait. She will resiliently bloom again, each time growing stronger and more beautiful.
While my experience in Japan has been one of the best experiences of my life, I must accept the inevitable change and regret that comes with bountiful blooms. I will return to SMC, my nurturing soil, and emerge 10 months later with my college degree. Can you believe that? In only three natural seasons... I will be a real-life grown-up. Jobs, rent, cars, no fun at all...
This thought frightens me a little, I admit. And each time my Orchid looses her last blossom, I wonder if her delicate temperament will survive another harsh winter. But she has survived. Angie sent me an update recently - she now has 4 full blooms. She is grand and fine. And with the knowledge and insight I have gained in Japan, my dreams too will blossom. I have a blooming orchid.


3 Comments:
I hear the Japanese have some beautiful flowers. Perhaps a reminder for home?
Could it be we're not single plants but gardens? Each distinct and some more cultivated than others, and varying in their diversity. You return to America with a garden touched by Japan. Look after it, and may you now inspire others as they see Japan through you.
Hey Mo. I'm sorry to hear that you aren't sticking around for another semester. I enjoy having you in my class and you are always up for learning. Well, the semester isn't over yet so let's enjoy the time we have left.
thanks everyone. sniff. sniff. love you too.
Post a Comment
<< Home